Here is our final issue providing checklists to help you look for signs of water or mold at your home. Previously we provided checklists for your crawlspace , your attic, and your home’s interior. Finding and repairing any problems quickly will save you time and money in the long run! This issue we’ll focus on things you can check on your home’s exterior.
- Gutters and downspouts should be adequate to catch rainwater from the roof and be routed to discharge at least six feet away from foundation walls or crawlspace vents
- Sprinklers along the foundation should be installed at least two feet away from the walls or changed to a drip system — ensure water does not spray on siding or foundation
- Ensure you aren’t over-watering your landscaping — excessive sprinkling and poor gutters or downspouts discharging too close to the home are the top reasons for moisture in basements and crawlspaces in Boise
- Look for gaps, swelling, cracking, caulk pulling away, or any discoloration on trim around windows and doors
- Check for staining on the soffit and/or fascia which can indicate a roof leak
- Make sure your roof valleys have proper flashing and the roof has a correctly installed drip edge so water drains into your gutters and not behind or over them
As always, call us at (208) 327-2127 with any questions or if you need a recommendation for a terrific vendor we trust to do a great job for you!